Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Mass media or fake news? Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 1  

I miss Headline News. Yeah, it was repetitive every 30 minutes, but damn it, it was news. I didn't have to wade through twenty minutes of opinion to get the gist of the story.

———

Ironically, one of the last networks to do this was One America News Network. The channel was always hyper-conservative—their opinion shows were garbage—but in the beginning, they kept their news programming separate from that. Most of their video was licensed from other outlets like AP and Reuters, and it was just newsreaders reading news like CNN in the 90s. They also covered a lot of international stories that didn’t get a lot of attention on the other networks. 

If you were able to ignore the commercial bumpers full of Ayn Rand quotes and promos for opinion shows blaming Obama for the end of civilization, you could get relatively neutral news. That went away when they climbed aboard the Trump train.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

Headline News just wasn't the same once it changed to HLN and focused more on its shows than repeating the news. Now I only watch it for Robin Meade....if I'm actually up for the early part of it.

I was happy when Nancy Grace left HLN. Way too biased, and rarely apologized if it turned out she was wrong. I suppose its more of the same with the show she does now.....

Edited by Brian Floyd on 25 January 2021 at 12:52pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 3  

Yeah, it was the Nancy Grace channel for awhile. I can't say I had much use for her shows, nor the endless Suze Orman financial advice ones. So many specialty channels are way way off from the specialty they originally were meant to provide so that if Headline News or The Learning Channel started showing computer animated shows I wouldn't be totally surprised.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

Did anyone know that MTV used to play music videos?!

Seriously, I find it funny that they still air the Video Music Awards, when there are kids who have graduated high school that hadn't even started Elementary the last time MTV played those.

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 January 2021 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 5  

Anyone seen the movie TEACHER'S PET, with Doris Day and Clark Gable? I remember a scene where Doris Day, the new-style young reporter is explaining to Clark Gable, the old-fashioned hard-hitting reporter on what the public wants. He wants to write just the facts and what actually happened in the story and she tells him that modern audiences want to know why something happens and want more personal details. The movie is from 1958 yet still seems relevant. 
Nobody seems to want to hear the straight facts anymore(read a copy of the New York Times from the 1930s to see this style) but they want conflict and "debates" and enjoy having their opinion made for them by whatever news outlet seems right to them, or more likely, what their friends listen to. 

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 6  

In Australia there is the ABC network which is paid by taxpayers that is independent from commercial concerns. Of course some in the Conservative party here always complain it’s run by communists solely because when politicians are interviewed on there they’re not let off easy. Is there nothing like that in the States? 

Edited by Tony Marin on 29 January 2021 at 6:00am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 7  

Tony - the vast majority of "news" networks are on cable, so you see what we see - CNN, Fox News, MSNBC, OAN, maybe Reuters, etc. We don't really have any non-commercial news that I know of, as I'm sure I would slavishly follow it. Possibly our Sunday morning news shows - Meet the Press and others which are on far too early for poor ol' me to get up to watch - are objective in their grilling of politicians.

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 8  

Eric,

Isn't PBS a blend of privately and publicly funded?

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 26 January 2021 at 10:35am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 9  

Marc, I can surely see that. I know on their morning radio broadcasts, they cover news. But have they a news program? I rarely watch, so I am in the dark.

Tony Marin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 January 2021 at 4:05pm | IP Logged | 10  

There is a version of Fox run by Murdoch in Australia called Sky news. I think England has it too. The presenters on it, like Fox, seem very unhinged. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 11  

Eric Sofer wrote:
Marc, I can surely see that. I know on their morning radio broadcasts, they cover news. But have they a news program?

They've had a daily show called PBS NewsHour (which started as The Robert MacNeil Report, morphed into the popular The MacNeil/Lehrer Report and then became The MacNeil/Lehrer NewsHour) since 1975, so 46 years. Not to knock anyone, but I can't believe someone over 50 hasn't heard of PBS NewsHour.  I'm in my 50's and I've known about it for 40 years. 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2021 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 12  

Sky news in the U.K. is not that bad from the times I’ve watched it - it’s
certainly light years from Fox News

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |