Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rebecca, grass, snitch and grassing someone up is the exact
thing that I discuss in my post - way, way beyond
elementary school level concept for me - it has almost
become ingrained in the DNA of many a community - at adult
level.

And I really do find it a method of control that I abhor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

My mind boggles at the increased use of that word. therewas a time that its use was pretty much banned in TV andfilm but now it can be thrown around in 15 certificatefilms.

I cannot think of a similar word for males

•••

No doubt part of the revolt against these bad words lies in that frustration. Nothing to call those White guys who rule the world (or seem to if you’re not one of them).

Back to Top profile | search

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Maybe the alternatives to C**T have been in the mainstream for so much longer that they don't have the same 'sting' anymore.

As a pre-teen kid, I was aware of F**K but didn't hear the C word until I was much older. 

Mike Benson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Words can absolutely be a window to intent.  "Fag" doesn't bother me at all, and many in the gay community throw it around with abandon.  "Faggot" is a whole different case, as it drips with malice and it isn't too much of a leap from that word to someone actually wanting to physically harm me.  Hate speech might not be that scary, but hate speech with true hate behind it is absolutely terrifying. 

Having said that, I wouldn't think twice about it if I found out a celebrity once mouthed the word while lip syncing to a song when they were a teenager.  I certainly wouldn't expect an apology.  We're spending a lot of energy these days on stuff that just isn't part of the problem, a whole lot of energy. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It’s context again. I go back to a short story I read in my teens. Boy and girl make out session in his car. He whispers “Say the dirtiest word you know.” She says “Ointment.”

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Remembering a gag on ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT. The family owned a yacht, which was seen to be named SEAWARD. Over a few episodes it became C-WORD.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 1:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

We're spending a lot of energy these days on stuff that just isn't part of the problem, a whole lot of energy. 

--------

I couldn't agree more, Mike. Someone making a faux pas and learning from their error is a hell of a lot different to someone spouting hate and refusing to acknowledge another point of view.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Ironically faggots were originally a bundle of sticks, and then cigarettes got called that... I honestly have no clue about why it came to be used for something else but I remember boys calling each other it circa grade 3. After a Bionic Man episode they were calling people fembots! There's that isn't there... throws like a girl, runs like a girl, look like a bunch of girls out there. I think some of it is more funny to me than maybe it was to others, but I expect such things could do someone real harm. Tomboy was never such a terrible thing to be I don't feel.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 3:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

You have to  remember Billie Eilish was 13 yrs old when she did that  and she was singing along to a song by  the rapper Tyler the creator.
no adult should have to apologize for something they said when they were 13 years old  and who exactly gets their knickers in a twist over what was said by some one when they were 13?
I used to fear that the right wing would move us into a Orwellian dystopia but it seems the woke left with their thought police  are doing an admirable job of it .
this younger generation  is more fragile  than my grandmother

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2021 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

This Billie Eilish thing is hilarious.

A heavily edited clip shows up on TikTok of Eilish singing along to a lyric and making gibberish sounds. Right-wing media amplifies it in their never-ending attempt to play "gotcha" with regard to "cancel culture". There's some handwringing among teens and what seems mostly a shrug from AAPI groups. She makes a (in my opinion) thoughtful apology which a lot of her fans seem to be OK with.

So what the fuck is the problem here? Media, especially right-wing media, is making a bigger deal about this than it actually is. The only people being fragile and manipulated here are the people in a moral panic over "cancel culture".

Jim Burdo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2021 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
It's been a few years since I've taught law & literature, and in the past I've used a variety of texts by white and black authors where the N-word appears, and, where the nature of the discussion is suitable, we have said the word. 

But since then, I've become concerned that the next time I teach the course I might not use the word under any circumstances. 

I don't worry in the slightest about my black students. But I am growing more anxious that a white student might express vicarious offense and, tenure shmenure, the administration would/could not stand by my choice to allows its usage, no matter what.

That happened at Georgetown, where a professor didn't even use the full words on an exam. The Black Law Students association went after him.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2021 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Fag" doesn't bother me at all, and many in the gay community throw it around with abandon.

I'm always amused that in the UK "fag" means "cigarette." 

The preferred word for men who engage in "buggery" with other men is "poof." Unless that's changed.

Side note: Roman Emperor Justinian I argued that sodomy was the cause of earthquakes. (Well, it can feel like that, if you're doing it right.)

Edited by Adam Schulman on 24 June 2021 at 12:04pm

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |