Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Sticks and Stones Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As we saw with cripple/handicapped/disabled/differently abled, I have been waiting for “the N-word” to itself become an unacceptable term.

Kind of like in the 70s, when the Code forbade “freaking” once they realized what it was standing in for.

Back to Top profile | search

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, that's pretty obvious from all the responses. But if one of the definitions
is hateful, I ask again, why use it in this context?
++++++++++

Because let's face it, it's asinine to discuss the words intelligently amongst adults and not just use the words themselves. 

Obviously, no one here is using the terms outside discussing their impact as to why they can be considered offensive. 

C-word, n-word, f-word ... you know what they are talking about so in effect they used the word because now it's in your head. 

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 12:20pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Since I started this thread on the notion that we cannot really get rid of hateful words by hiding them……..

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 12:57pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Arguments about erasing the word or giving the word power are just a bunch of strawmen. I hear the N-word all the time in rap lyrics and standup and skits from black comedians. They're not shrinking in fear of the N-word or making it so it doesn't exist.

What is at issue is whether it is now OK for white people to use the N-word, regardless of context. And the answer seems to be no. And the question is, why would a white person want to?

Edited by Michael Roberts on 25 June 2021 at 12:58pm

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

You should also note that the white people in this thread are all too happy to opine on how black people should respond to the N-word, while the actual black people are reticent to discuss their experiences.

This is what white supremacy (in the academic sense, not the neo-Nazi sense) looks like. Instead of telling us POC of how you think it should work, why not create a space where POC can talk about the things that affect them directly? Because this is not it.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 25 June 2021 at 1:03pm

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:05pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

& that’s the point. Well done Michael.

For a certain type of person to use certain words, there can only be one
context as to why they are using them.

We can talk about the food all we want, but IN THE CONTEXT OF
THIS DISCUSSION, we are not really talking about food now, are we?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

No, we’re talking about the power we give to otherwise powerless words. Words that can, in fact, have entirely different—and harmless—meanings in other contexts.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

People of color get talked over, and women get talked over as well. I included some of the terms used against women exclusively in contrast to what is used on men only and what has some kind of cross-over in casting slurs against males insinuating they are feminine. As a black person might not appreciate being lectured to about how they should take something I have been lectured about how to take violence against women more seriously, a survivor and supporter of the local assault center. Freedom of speech is not unlimited or without responsibility. I dislike the pack mentality of us vs. them and the back patting and self congratulating. We're all turkeys in some ways is how I feel without false equivalency, it just gets proven to me so often!

I have heard, and mostly overheard, men say all kinds of abhorrent things about women, sometimes just aspersions they got something due to sex, things almost never said about men. Reality is 'political'. Words like politicians have the power we give them, but that's we, the community, not me or one single individual.

I have gay friends who use the q-word and f-word fairly often. I was even called a 'fag hag' once at least which is a straight woman with a gay male friend. I picked one term up they used that was 'fag hair' and used it inappropriately once. I will have to own that. We all have things to own, and hopefully we all are evolving and learning. Nobody wins until you free your mind, but that applies to every single individual. The timber in thine own eye thing again? Judge harshly if you would be so judged? To err is human and to forgive divine...

...and watching the Chauvin verdict I couldn't help but think of literally hundreds of deaths if not thousands before that which most will never know about and the mountains of hurts among families lived with for generations, and generations of denial keeping it happening. :^(
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to suggest otherwise. Being from the south myself,
I’ve been around it way too much. I’d like to say things have gotten
better since I was a kid, but it really hasn’t.

======================================================

@Brian

No worries!!! :-)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

In published legal cases, both federal and state, the earliest use of N-Word that I have found was in 1993. Some 1800 cases since then, and by far the most examples over the past 5-10 years.

As for the actual word, so many uses in case law that the search engine maxed out at 10,000. There are more than that, but it would take a more advanced search to come up with the true figure. 

But the actual word seems to be just as much in use, over the most recent years, as N-Word.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

This is what white supremacy (in the academic sense, not the neo-Nazi sense) looks like.

========================

Makes sense. Because the greatest racial supremacists are the liberal academics. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 25 June 2021 at 7:09pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2021 at 7:28pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Makes sense. Because the greatest racial supremacists are the liberal academics.
++++++++++

And pray tell, by which well-researched/duly-experienced means do you make this proclamation? 

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |