Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 53 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN 22 --Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:26am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

No reference needed. Just a lifetime inside my head.
-----
Gadzooks!
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

(And, whatever the exact healing timeline, I'm just glad it wasn't within a few seconds! Stupid movies... grumble, grumble)

•••

Whenever I see what’s been done with Wolverine’s “healing factor” I think back to the first time I drew him with his shirt off. Chris asked for some “discreet scars”, indicating the multiple surgeries thru which Logan had gone to replace his bones one by one.

Lots of incisions in the same places had ultimately defeated his super healing.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Isn't Wolverine's sheer ability to heal at all from something as impossibly traumatic as having the bones ripped out of his flesh amazing enough...?! His healing factor ain't magic! Ya know?!! Hollywood, all drunk with what it can do (depict), never considering whether it should. I guess, the comicbook industry too, eh?

(...freakin' grumble!!!)

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Writers get into the habit of wanting to “push” the super powers. “Well, if s/he can do THIS, shouldn’t s/he be able to do THAT?” Usually the answer is NO!

Before my time on the book, Chris introduced the idea that Ororo could manipulate the unstable molecules of her costume to alter her wardrobe. That at least was manageable. But before editorial intervened he wanted her to use her “weather powers” to create a small STAR!

When I came on board he was suggesting Sean could create “sonic holograms” (and I already had enough trouble figuring out how Banshee’s powers worked!) He had Wolverine literally punched into orbit—a memoable scene to be sure, and at least it took him a while to recover! And once Kitty was in place, he started talking about her phasing between dimensions!

Do not even get me started on Nightcrawler!!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The desire for a "cool scene" where Logan's skin spits out a bullet was evidently too great to avoid. After seeing that scene in the first X-Men movie I thought why did the healing factor wait a few beats before kicking in? And when it did kick in why was it so damned fast?!

Wolverine is going to be unable to function for quite some time, but he will eventually come back. It sets up some potentially interesting situations the next time he crosses Magneto's path.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:29am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There’s nothing in a “practical” application of Logan’s healing factor that should allow him to “spit out” bullets. In fact, with his life experience, he should be full of slugs and shards and other such debris.

One of the things that contributes to his grumpy disposition, perhaps.

John Northey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Ugh.  Makes sense the he'd have bits and pieces inside him as healing locks it in ala Peter David's Hulk healing over his hands when he pushed his guts back in (another gruesome concept showing the consequences of too fast a healing factor...another comic run I enjoyed but haven't re-read in decades).  I am glad that Wolverine's mind is healing though as I want the old Logan back - as interesting as childlike Logan has been - even if he is a bit floppy for awhile. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Queen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I have heard that our body's do slowly expel things like shrapnel.

Found this
 reddit wrote:

Normally something this large would not be expelled through the skin. Small objects like splinters and bits of dirt that get abraded into the skin can get pushed out, and that is due to the positive pressure of acute inflammation. Any time the skin is perforated or damage, your body reacts by creating a localized positive pressure system. Acute inflammation manifests as redness, heat, swelling, and pain. This local swelling is what can sometimes push out small objects.

When you start talking about object as big as a bullet, the body responds differently. As long as the object isn't covered in recognizable foreign material, the body will likely just wall it off in a cyst. This happens to intentionally placed foreign objects like breast implants. Obviously, your body can't distinguish between the well intentioned and everything else, so things that don't get surgically removed can get walled off.

If something this large is getting pushed out, it's most likely not due to cells proliferating but rather new tissue getting laid down. The cells doing this are called fibroblasts, and they produce the dense, rugged material that gives skin its tough but pliable properties. A bullet would get pushed out by continual deposition of this scar-like tissue on the interior aspect of the bullet, slowly pushing it closer and closer to the surface. All that said, I wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Slowly" is not a synonym for "spitting".

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Good grief! Will somebody hit that guy over the head with a large rock already!

Jamez Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 8:48am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Physiology lesson, aside, Elsewhen continues to be the best thing happening in comics right now. So satisfying, yet leaves me craving more. A delightful breath of fresh air. I wish I had something more poignant to say, beyond this heart-felt "Thank You!"

Scott Barnett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2021 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Please, JB, please cut our favorite Canadian mutant a break!

Given your 'you always hurt the ones you love' credo, you must really love Wolverine... ;)

BTW, I'm really enjoying the ride. Thank you once again for all of this.

<< Prev Page of 53 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |