Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | Fan Fic << Prev Page of 69
Topic: X-MEN.ELSEWHEN.31--Comments Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 6:12pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

It's weird how much I enjoy the Kirby 'style' in early Steranko, Barry Smith and Keith Giffen. I'm glad they moved on but their early comics have a Marvel-ous quality.

I was thinking again about Terry Austin and whom I thought he worked well with and who not so well, though never terrible. There were some '70s Captain Marvels or Guardians Of The Galaxy pencilled by Milgrom I think that worked well. Pat Broderick looked good with his inks too. was Marshall Rogers who has a somewhat stiff style was made stiffer with Austin though. I remember some Tom Sutton Logan's Run and Mike Grell GL/GA he inked not working out so well either, but this was quite early in his career. There were a few disciples of Austin around later I think, like Terry Pallot. Inkers make a good choice to emulate him as I can think of many worse; remember all that slashing crosshatching everywhere and on everything starting in the early '90s? Eep!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Christopher Cohen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 July 2022 at 9:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The company's presentation for that limited edition must have impressed the Big Two, given the format carried on for several of their collections until 1992 (Batman: Blind Justice, Fantastic Four: Monsters Unleashed).
Back to Top profile | search

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2022 at 5:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It seems to me that the "Kirby style" of early Steranko and Barry Smith was personal style and artistic influence rather than "House Style."

Partly because neither of them stayed that way very long and neither was really getting lots of work until they achieved more developed personal styles.

Have they ever claimed different?
Back to Top profile | search

William Lutz
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2022 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Hey Mr. Byrne
Hope all is well, any new stuff you can show us? Hope you are good
Best
Bill
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register