Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Wolverine 50th Anniversary covers and his evolution Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 3:30am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Apologies if this has been mentioned here before, but Marvel has been putting out Wolverine 50th Anniversary variant covers - and the official logo looks awfully familiar.....

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 22 February 2024 at 3:34am
Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 3:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Also related, here's an article about the evolution of Wolverine as we know it (ending with the DOFP issues marking the first official use of his healing factor: LINK

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That’s really interesting.
I was reading the UK Rampage for my X-Men stories up until around the
140’s, buying from 136 as back issues.
Some of this I remember being introduced when it was, some I would have
swore came in much earlier than it did.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Ah, the real Wolverine... we hardly knew ye!

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 2:02pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I hope you’re being sarcastic, Michael.

Here we see a standard issue goulash of mixed up “facts” and opinions, all from someone who wasn’t there.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I only meant Dave Cockrum's and your art, JB -- that is it!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:25pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yeah, while there are facts we already know about like the claws originally being a part of the gloves and him being 19 years old, I had a suspicion that (incorrect) assumptions were made about elements of the Byrne/Claremont years.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Tom Breevort: "It strains suspension of disbelief to the breaking point that Wolverine has lived with the X-Men for what must be years and in all that time none of them have asked him his name..."

Tell me you just don't get it without telling me you just don't get it.

Add up all the "on screen" time between GSX#1 and UXM#139

They fight an island, Nefaria, Sentinels, Magneto/Juggernaut/Firestorm, the Shi'ar, and then rest at a lake where Weapon Alpha attacks-- all of this could have taken a month, maybe. It could have just been a very bad week. Keep going and there is no way to arrive at "years".

None of that matters to the central point that, yeah, superhero comics sometimes embrace things that adults would probably consider a breaking strain on their suspension of disbelief.

Welcome to the party, pal.

Edited by Mark Haslett on 22 February 2024 at 5:36pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:38pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Actually, there's an even simpler, one-word answer for that: "Rogue".

For about 20 years of publication, her name went unshared and unrevealed, and it was only because of the movie that it actually happened.

And if we really want to go there, that stretches disbelief even more since she was actively in a relationship with Gambit for years. Even Wolverine told Mariko his real name in a much shorter timespan.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 22 February 2024 at 5:47pm

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

JB, regarding the "you never asked" panel in #139, since you were the full plotter of that issue, and the artwork of that panel with him and Kurt seemed to jibe with the name reveal, so am I correct in assuming that that was your intent, and not something that Claremont threw in? If so, was "you never asked" a suggestion of yours as well?

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 5:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I think this slow-burn reveal of Wolverine's story was super-effective. His tough-guy role, as the ruthless guy in the background who would step up when it came time to give voice to the lethal option is familiar, from some movies, but it was never done better.

For those of us who were there for the slow-building momentum of Wolverine from back-bencher, to misunderstood A-lister -- there was a nice sense of being "in" on something great.

Too bad that being "cool" is one of those things that kind of gets ruined when everyone notices it.

ron bailey
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2024 at 6:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

".... superhero comics sometimes embrace things that adults would probably consider a breaking strain on their suspension of disbelief."

Yeah, HUGE pet peeve on my end, where people fixate on the logistical mechanics of the feasibility of the storytelling rather than the story itself. Especially now, in the era of the ubiquitous smart phone, every criticism of storytelling begins with, "Couldn't they have just used their phone to ...?"

My first encounter with that was with the original Star Wars movies where people have lightsabers and use Jedi mind tricks, but it "strained credulity", for example, that the second Death Star could have begun construction that quickly after the first's destruction ... lol 

Wasn't it more interesting to convey, through that exchange with Kurt, something about Logan's character and how those around treat him? 

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |