Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 16 Next >>
Topic: Costume Changes for the better Locked Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 1  

I like the Red Angel costume with the strong spotting of Black in it....I read it as a dark red or Crimson...

But that was my first exposure to the Angel... Hulk Annual 7 by JB... and I always think of the Angel in that costume... What is funny is that as a kid I liked BLUE better and in one panel colored my comic with a blue crayon over the red parts cause I thought it would make the Angel look better and I had accidently switched it to the original Adams version without even knowing....
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Connell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

What Magneto saw.

I suppose this is what the costume might look like to the other characters not having to deal with printing issues.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

Thom Price wrote:
For me, it's the amount of blue that is used which determines how my eye views it.  If the Angel costume had been 90% black with small blue highlights, then my eye would certainly register it as black. 

Right.  That's why Clark's hair never registered that is was anything other than black to me:

There's more black than blue in the hair depicted here, thus it always read as black to me. 

But Spider-Man, save for the AF 15 cover, has more blue than black:

I'm certainly not questioning original intent, just what color my eye "reads" when I look at the pics above.

Ron Farrell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

JB: "one of those "colors not found in nature" costumes -- a black that reflects red highlights."

Maybe not in nature, but stout beer (like Guinness) is black with red highlights. 

Michael Kennedy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:27pm | IP Logged | 5  

I know what you mean, Mr. Reed. Although, judging by the color of that Amazing Spider-Man cover, he has purple pants (borrowing the Hulk's wardrobe!?) and Mr. Fantastic has a purple uniform!

Heh. Color is fun.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Daniel Cort
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:45pm | IP Logged | 6  

Greg Kirkman wrote:
Now, is that what Ditko intended when he designed the suit? Probably not. But that's the way it stands today.

He intended it to be blue.  Cool blue, specifically.

Steve Ditko wrote:
My original color combination was a warm red orange on the webbing section and a cool blue on the body parts. These colors made a nice contrast, they emphasized the webbing and added to the mystery mood. S-M's blue was changed to warm purple inside the book (it gets warmer, redder in later issues, ruining the better contrast and mood).

Michael Everall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 7  

"Captain Cheerios"...bad, very bad costume.

Funny thing though, in the hands of the wrong artist, even a good costume can look bad. I remember the Silver Centurion Iron Man and really liking it, but other than JB, Mark Bright, and (possibly) Bob Layton...every other artist's version of the armor really sucked for some reason!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 1:54pm | IP Logged | 8  

I have to admit that I liked when JB drew the New Coke Iron Man armor in the pages of the Hulk. But yeah, i did seem to be bulkier than it needed to be...guess that's why it didn't last long at all!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

Steve Ditko wrote:
My original color combination was a warm red orange on the webbing section and a cool blue on the body parts. These colors made a nice contrast, they emphasized the webbing and added to the mystery mood. S-M's blue was changed to warm purple inside the book (it gets warmer, redder in later issues, ruining the better contrast and mood).

+++++++++++++

Didn't know that. Thanks!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Daniel Cort
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:07pm | IP Logged | 10  

I liked the New Coke armor (great name, BTW) too, but it lasted for 32 issues, just under 3 years.  Not the classic red & yellow longevity, but Red and Silver appeared in more issues than the original grey armor and the gold armor combined

Eric Lund
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:25pm | IP Logged | 11  

I love the classic Red and Gold Iron Man it was so iconic!!!... MUCH better than all the gobbledygook he has now for armor.

John Byrne

Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2007 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

Now, is that what Ditko intended when he designed the suit? Probably not. But that's the way it stands today.

+++

He intended the hi-lights to be "cool blue". This

…is clearly not meant to be a "cool blue" and red costume.

The blacks dropped out, just as the amount of webbing on the red parts simplified, as deadlines crowded and Ditko started (even unconsciously) cutting corners. This is the same way in which Batman's costume when from black and grey to blue and grey, the X-Men's school uniforms went from black and yellow to blue and yellow, and Wonder Woman's mother's hair turned blonde. (It's also how the Thing ended up with blue eyes, instead of his original brown -- blue for the separator is a single dot of color, brown is two.)

<< Prev Page of 16 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |