Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum MOBILE
Byrne Robotics | The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 444 Next >>
Topic: Acting Presidential Post Reply | Post New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 10:58pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"I've liked some of his and disliked some."

This is more like the broken clock being right twice a day at least. Not sure that counts as optimism or something else. I see Trumpo taking a position and then taking the opposite position as well before a day is done, so often he is really just a broken clock! Okay, I'm up to the moment sort of okay that he wants to stand up to communist China, have no idea whatsoever why or if he even knows, but that's, uh, something I guess. Now tomorrow he could be kissing their ass and giving the farm away and calling it a yuuge win or something. Not being a politician also means not remotely qualified for the top job by the way.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Three hundred pages, and I don't recall too many people on Trump's side.

Most people are not willing to sacrifice any semblance of normal life by angering the online mobs.  Cancel culture is a harsh mistress.

-----

Does anyone seriously give a shit about virtue signaling on a John Byrne Message Board? "Must pretend to hate Trump or else the other 40-50 year old dudes will stop reading my posts!"
Back to Top profile | search

Neil Lindholm
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You made me laugh Michael. That’s an awesome post. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Does anyone seriously give a shit about virtue signaling on a John Byrne Message Board? "Must pretend to hate Trump or else the other 40-50 year old dudes will stop reading my posts!"

Literally?  Yes, they do care.  I know of more than one person who doesn't care to take on the outspoken Byrne victims.  I've experienced it myself in political discussions on the rare occasion I participate in one.

I know a lot of people here are more well read and smarter than me but there is a definite vibe that if one doesn't passionately denounce and hate Trump, they're just an inbred, mouth breathing, simpleton that's just too stupid to see the(ir) truth.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2020 at 11:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm always open to attempts to describe what is good or supportable in Trump. Other than splitting hairs semantically I can't see any aside from one's stock doing well (at a given time) and feeling magnanimous enough to imagine he had anything much to do with that. There's a lot of magical thinking going on generally these days.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:06am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'm always open to attempts to describe what is good or supportable in Trump. Other than splitting hairs semantically I can't see any aside from one's stock doing well (at a given time) and feeling magnanimous enough to imagine he had anything much to do with that. There's a lot of magical thinking going on generally these days.

I agreed with his response to the bombing of our embassy.  I agreed with his reasoning behind removing the troops from Syria.  I agreed with him enforcing and modifying the laws related to illegal immigration.  I agree with him not wanting to defund/dismantle police forces.  I even agreed with his decision to show that looting and rioting hadn't destroyed the landmark church in DC.  I agree with him about the media.

I think there are plenty of redeemable acts by him as the President.  He isn't perfect.  He isn't likable.  He is very polarizing.  But he was elected to be something other than a politician and to do things a little differently.  Some of it's worked, some of it hasn't.  

Some complain that he is too divisive as the President and while I've seen him play to his base in immature and inappropriate ways at times, I think the Democrats have been far worse.  Granted, this is me playing catch-up.  I don't follow most of this stuff at all, much less closely.  I'm reliant on online sources to find out anything at all, which I know is a dubious method.

I thought Obama was pretty good overall but there are some really terrible things out there about him.  

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:50am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
The various claims against Trump that I looked into from people who hated him never seemed to hold up to scrutiny.  Wild hyperbole, mind reading and histrionics are most of what I see.

Give me one  Just one.  Please. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security

Robotmod

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 12:55am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Andy Mokler wrote:
 I like that he improved the illegal immigration problem on our southern border.  

Jesus. Fucking. Christ.

You "liked" how he put kids in cages, held immigrants against the wishes of several federal judges and imposed his will on people seeking asylum.

Seriously.

Fuck.

You.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 1:19am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Like I said, hyperbole, histrionics and exaggeration.  

Trump didn't put kids in cages  Temporary fenced in areas were erected at facilities where there weren't enough holding cells.  For all ages, with benches.

I'm all for criticizing the administration(s) that failed to properly document families and have been unable to reunite them.  But overall, illegal immigration has decreased under Trump and he didn't even have to build his stupid wall. 

Edited by Andy Mokler on 09 June 2020 at 1:20am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 1:22am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

QUOTE:
I agreed with his reasoning behind removing the troops from Syria.

Do you think abandoning the Kurds, which signals to all current and future allies that the US might be an unreliable partner in future military operations, is a good thing? Do you think the Kurds subsequently allying with Russian-supported forces is a good thing? Do you think overriding the concerns of the military is a good thing?

QUOTE:
I even agreed with his decision to show that looting and rioting hadn't destroyed the landmark church in DC.

Do you think doing so without contacting the bishop of the church was a good thing? Do you think firing pepper balls to clear the peaceful protest in the area was a good thing? Do you think firing pepper balls at the clergy who were in the area was a good thing?

QUOTE:
Granted, this is me playing catch-up.  I don't follow most of this stuff at all, much less closely.  I'm reliant on online sources to find out anything at all, which I know is a dubious method.

C'mon, man. You admit that you don't follow this closely. You admit that you might be a little bit more sheltered and less well-read than some of the people in this discussion. You admit that you rely on dubious sources. But you seem to want to dismiss other arguments as false media narratives. If you know that there is room to learn, how about listening? To something that is not YouTube.

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 1:51am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Do you think abandoning the Kurds, which signals to all current and future allies that the US might be an unreliable partner in future military operations, is a good thing? Do you think the Kurds subsequently allying with Russian-supported forces is a good thing? Do you think overriding the concerns of the military is a good thing?

Do you think abandoning(or staying) with the Kurds would really change anyone's worldwide opinion of the US?  Would anyone care about the Kurds if Trump wasn't involved?  Do I think the US should focus more on the US and stay out of conflicts that don't involve them?  The current Syrian conflict has been going on for over 9 years.  When would be a good time for the US to walk away?  Was there any mention at all about any kind of time frame?

Do you think doing so without contacting the bishop of the church was a good thing? Do you think firing pepper balls to clear the peaceful protest in the area was a good thing? Do you think firing pepper balls at the clergy who were in the area was a good thing?

I couldn't really care less about notifying the bishop.  As far as the pepper balls, according to the AG, it was decided a day before that the perimeter around the White House had to be expanded a block further back.  Considering the Church had been on fire, I can't say that that was a bad idea.  Also considering that, I don't know that I can agree that the protesters were indeed peaceful.

C'mon, man. You admit that you don't follow this closely. You admit that you might be a little bit more sheltered and less well-read than some of the people in this discussion. You admit that you rely on dubious sources. But you seem to want to dismiss other arguments as false media narratives. If you know that there is room to learn, how about listening? To something that is not YouTube.

Because of the small handful of talking points that I have researched, I found that to be the case.  I have said it before (somewhere) that the left and the Democrats have badly overplayed their hands.  All they had to do was give Trump enough rope to hang himself but they have polluted their own cause.  Much like UFO'ers.  Give too many whacko's a voice and it will dilute those who have a point.

There are PLENTY of things to criticize Trump about but with all the fake news, attacks, waste of taxpayer's money, hypocrisy, etc., they've only strengthened why people liked Trump in the first place.  It isn't a failure to recognize his shortcomings or blind faith by mindless idiots, it's the preference to go with a non politician who's a bullshitter but cares about what the US stands for and strives for.

Look at how the media portrayed protesters.  Not too long ago, they were condemning those who were peacefully protesting their right to not be on lockdown.  There were no fires or injuries or deaths.  The media called for all of their arrest.  How does that compare to what the media is saying about what's going on now?  350+ cops injured or killed.  Innocent people beaten and killed.  Businesses destroyed and lives ruined.  All in the name of George Floyd, career criminal.  Is the media denouncing the protesters?  It doesn't seem like.  Not in general.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 June 2020 at 2:31am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

QUOTE:
Do you think abandoning(or staying) with the Kurds would really change anyone's worldwide opinion of the US?

Yes.

QUOTE:
Would anyone care about the Kurds if Trump wasn't involved?

Yes.

QUOTE:
Do I think the US should focus more on the US and stay out of conflicts that don't involve them?

I don't know. You never answered the questions I asked, and you didn't bother answering your own question. As for me, I think the US should strive to avoid conflicts. But they should also clean up their own messes, and not stir shit up then leave someone else to deal with it.

QUOTE:
The current Syrian conflict has been going on for over 9 years.  When would be a good time for the US to walk away?  Was there any mention at all about any kind of time frame?

I don't know when would be a good time to walk away. I do know that instantly with no notice is a bit chaotic and leaves everyone in a lurch.

QUOTE:
I couldn't really care less about notifying the bishop.  As far as the pepper balls, according to the AG, it was decided a day before that the perimeter around the White House had to be expanded a block further back.  Considering the Church had been on fire, I can't say that that was a bad idea.  Also considering that, I don't know that I can agree that the protesters were indeed peaceful.

How does any of that speak to whether the protesters were being peaceful? Do you think it was OK to spray pepper balls on clergy? Do you think the clergy were lying when they said that the people were peaceful and did not need to be sprayed?

QUOTE:
Because of the small handful of talking points that I have researched

sigh

QUOTE:
Not too long ago, they were condemning those who were peacefully protesting their right to not be on lockdown.  There were no fires or injuries or deaths.  The media called for all of their arrest

No they didn't. Lots of people saying they were fucktards and idiots. It's possible someone called for them to be arrested. But "the media" didn't demand anything.

QUOTE:
How does that compare to what the media is saying about what's going on now?  350+ cops injured or killed.  Innocent people beaten and killed.  Businesses destroyed and lives ruined.  All in the name of George Floyd, career criminal.  Is the media denouncing the protesters?  It doesn't seem like.  Not in general.

Which is funny, because from where I sit, the media has been conflating the protestors and the rioters/looters too much. It's clear that in many cases, they are separate groups. I mean where I am, we have the police engaging in scare tactics with curfews and asking business to board up in case of looting, for what is ultimately a few hundred high school students holding signs. The BLM movement has gained broad support, with protests even showing up in areas that have been traditionally very white and areas considered full of racist. Businesses and corporations who in the past have sat on the fence and spouted off equivocal admonitions against racism designed to be inoffensive to all sides are actually taking a stand. That's not media disinformation, it's the media reflecting what's happening.

Edited by Michael Roberts on 09 June 2020 at 2:33am

<< Prev Page of 444 Next >>
  Post Reply | Post New Topic |